We're winding down people! Just a couple major events left and then it's summer (cue Alice Cooper's- School's Out)!
Here is my standard rundown so you know about upcoming events and other things you might want to be aware of. As always, I'll do my best to keep it succinct, but I can already tell that this is gong to be a long one.
- May 2: Chapter Officer Interviews are from 4 to 7:15. Students must interview to be considered for Chapter Office
- May 4-6: State Finals for Livestock, AgMech and Ag Welding. This event is held at Cal Poly in San Luis Obispo.
- May 8: Ag Booster Meeting
- May 9: Sierra Buttes Section FFA Meeting. We have a student running for Sectional Office this year, so keep your fingers crossed for her (even though she is amazing and definitely doesn't need the luck)!
- May 10 and 11: Chapter officer candidate question and answer session at lunch in Mr. Paasch's room
- May 11: Siemans is coming to visit the AgMech classes
- May 16: The BR FFA End of the Year Banquet! Awards, scholarships, thank you's and foooood! We hope to see you there! RSVP to this email so we can get a general idea of how much food we need. We will send out another email soon with more information in regards to this event.
- May 18: Holt field trip for AgMech. WE NEED CHAPERONES/DRIVERS FOR THIS EVENT
- May 29: Ag Booster Meeting- They are getting ready for our big Ag Booster fundraiser happening in June. Come to the meeting and see what it's all about!
Also, Ag Swag is still available for purchase! These are Ag Department shirts, sweatshirts and hats so everyone can rep Bear River Agriculture. Talk to an advisor today if you are interested; sizes are limited.
Don't forget, we hold Open Shop every Tuesday and Wednesday (unless otherwise noted) from 3:30 to 6:30. This means that your student can work on class projects, personal (note: still school appropriate) projects, practice skills or even just work on homework for another class. This ALSO means that YOU can come in and work during that time as well! If we have equipment you'd like to use, want to work with your child on a personal project or even want to learn a new skill, the shop is available to you! This is your shop as much as it is ours and you are always welcome here.
AgMech Parents: We are down to the final hours and students are required to create a public showcase of their skills as their final project. I have been telling the kids for weeks that they need to get their supplies here for their final project (I can help get those supplies, I just need to be asked). We discussed those various ways to do a public showcase at our Home Visits, but if you need to speak to me about the project, PLEASE don't hesitate to reach out. THIS IS AN INCREDIBLY LARGE PART OF THEIR GRADE
NCF Animal Notes:
- Entries for sheep and swine are open May 18. All entries are done online this year, so make sure you speak to Mr. Paasch to make sure you have everything you need.
- Beef Folks: the annual hoof trimming date has been set for June 2nd at 9am at the school outdoor lab facility (garden beds/ greenhouse area) and we are working on getting a practice fitting day sometime in May or early June as well. We will also have a fitting day towards the end of July. Summer project visits will be done in May/Early June since I am out of town most of July.
As always, don't hesitate to ask, should you have any questions or concerns!